- Set a goal: what is the medium, who/where are the collaborators, how will the project be exhibited?
- Ask for permissions from humans (pet owners, zoo employees).
- Make contact with the non-human collaborators, investigate their possible interest in collaborating.
- What are the creative expressions of the collaborator?
- Study and asses senses of collaborator, how do they see, smell, hear etc?
- Remove any preconceptions about the species you are working with.
- Devise precise but flexible methods for process and documentation (and data collection).
- Establish trust between you and the collaborator(s).
- Put yourself in the collaborators position.
- Be open to change.
- Work from questions, don't expect answers.
- Be patient.
- Show affinity and respect towards your collaborator.
- Be receptive to the collaborator and sensitive to their sensing thresholds.
- Share the experience, result, documentation etc with an audience.